Eating healthy isn’t just about eating the right foods it is also about avoiding foods that spike your blood sugar and increase your diabetes complications. When you have diabetes, food choices matter a lot and some are better than others. The best foods are most often whole foods that are not processed, such as fruits and vegetables. To help you make the right choice, here is a list of best and worst foods for keeping diabetes under control:
Avoid or Limit the Following Foods:
- High Fat Protein-eat lean cuts of fish or meat without the skin and by removing the fat.
- Processed and prepackaged snacks-avoid chips, pretzels, crackers, cookies and donuts due to the Trans fats.
- Fruit juice-fruit juice has a high concentration of fruit sugar.
- Dried fruit-dehydration causes natural sugars to become super concentrated.
- White bread, rice and flour-these act similar to sugar when digested.
- Full fat dairy-this includes milk, cheese, ice cream, and yogurt. High fat foods worsen insulin resistance.
- Processed sugar foods-soda, cookies, desserts made primarily of sugar all fall into this group.
- Fried food-fried foods cause blood sugar and glucose levels to increase.
- Alcohol-interferes with blood sugar levels.
- Canned vegetables-large amounts of sodium affect the body’s ability to regulate other functions.
- Canned fruit-many have added heavy sugar syrup.
- Flavored coffees and energy drinks-be cautious of the high amount of sugar.
Be sure to follow a healthful meal plan filled with whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, as well as lean protein. Here are some food items that are high in fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins and minerals that will help you improve your overall health.
Incorporate the Following Foods into your Meal Plan:
- Red Peppers
- Red Grapefruit
- Green & Black Tea
Diabetes prevention is as basic as eating more healthfully, becoming more physically active and losing a few extra pounds. Making a few simple changes now may help you avoid the serious health complications of diabetes down the road, such as nerve, kidney and heart damage.
If you are finding it difficult to juggle it all - work, family, errands and other demands that often leave you over taxed. Where do you turn when a loved ones needs are more than you can manage on your own? What do you do when some of the care alternatives seem like a complication rather than a solution? We understand, in fact, we have been there.
Consult Atlanta's most trusted source for quality Home Care, Easy Living Services. Offering flexible care plans designed to guarantee safety, comfort, companionship and personal care and attention to your loved one at home.
Finally, a real solution. At last, peace of mind. Call us at 770-442-8664.