For many arthritis can be a debilitating disease. It causes decreased mobility, pain, swelling, stiffness and can limit activities. The five most common and serious types of arthritis are:
The key steps to managing life with arthritis in order to feel better are:
- Keep active - In this case the saying "use it or lose it" rings true. The less you do from a physical standpoint, the less mobility and flexibility you will have.
- Maintain a healthy weight - Additional pounds increase stress on the joints which increases pain.
- Avoid injuries - Falls and injuries can cause the development of osteoarthritis.
- Develop strategies and healthy skills - Exercise, eating certain foods and avoiding foods that can cause inflammation can keep the body working better and feeling better.
- Diet - Eat foods that are anti inflammatory and rich in antioxidants.
- Early diagnosis - Avoid ignoring the symptoms! Establish a plan early on to live a healthy lifestyle.
Foods that fight and block inflammation and offer healthy benefits for combating arthritis are:
- Green, black & white tea
- Red wine
- Water-flushes toxins out of the body!
- Tart & dark cherries
- Dark green leafy vegetables
- Sweet potatoes
- Red pepper
- Onions, leeks, shallots
- Omega-3's found in fatty acid fish; salmon, tuna, sardines, mackerel
- Marine Collagen, the building block for cartilage, bones, tendons, ligaments and skin
- MSM, a natural anti inflammatory that targets joint tissue
- Glucosamine, aids joint structure and can provide significant pain relief
Foods to avoid that can worsen and cause pain are:
- Processed and refined
- Fats and oils that are saturated fat found in meat, butter and cheese
- Omega 6"s found in corn oil, safflower, soy and vegetable oil
- Trans fats
- Reduce salt intake
- Reduce sugar
- Moderate consumption of alcohol
If you or a loved one are struggling with a debilitating condition that can benefit from a little help to make life easier, we are here for you! Since 1994 Easy Living Services and has been an expert resource for thousands of Atlanta families with Home Care needs.
call us at, 770-442-8664