Many studies have proven that there are superfoods that can help prevent cancer tumors and halt their growth. Here are some top cancer fighting foods to work into the family diet if you would like to reduce the risk or help someone who is going through cancer recovery.
- As often as possible, buy organic. Pesticides are linked to many cancers.
- Add green tea to your diet. Green tea protects cells from damage and strengthens the immune system.
- Avoid trans fats. Baked goods, deep fried foods, and those containing partially hydrogenated oil raise the risk of cancer.
- Consume more fish. Fish that is high in omega-3 such as mackerel, sardines and salmon reduce inflammation.
- Eat dark, leafy greens. Dark leafy greens are high in nutritional content and studies have shown they can prevent the DNA damage that leads to cancer. Greens to consider are: spinach, watercress, arugula, broccoli, and kale.
- Toss in the berries. Berries contain phytochemicals that protect against numerous types of cancer. Blueberries, cranberries, and raspberries are all great choices.
- Add onions and garlic. The National Institute of Health have conducted studies that show people with a high consumption of onions and garlic have a reduced risk of many common cancers.
- Include tomatoes. Lycopene is the active chemical in tomatoes and has shown to lower the risk of many cancers. Cooking tomatoes enhances the effects of lycopene.
- Take a resveratrol supplement. Resveratrol is an antioxidant found in red wine and grapes but is most concentrated in red wine. However the higher the alcohol consumption the greater the risk is for cancer. Taking a supplement is the best idea to obtain the powerful antioxidant.
- Turmeric has many benefits. Turmeric fights cancer because of curcumin a powerful antioxidant. You can add the spice to a multitude of foods or take in a supplement. Cancer patients should consult with their doctor before taking the supplement because it can make the cancer drugs less effective.
Other foods that have important health benefits are:
- Greek Yogurt - this has good bacteria that can improve your health.
- Chickpeas - a great source of protein.
- Avocados - Avocados contain vitamins C, K and B6 and are a great source of good fat for heart health.
If you know someone fighting the cancer battle, treatment and recovery can be a little easier with supportive care. The team at Easy Living Services will match your loved one with a compassionate caregiver dedicated to keeping them safe and comfortable at home. Easy Living has supported Atlanta families in their efforts to keep loved ones cared for and fulfilled at home since 1994.
Let us help, call today at 770-442-8664